Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The End of an Era




I don't check the evening news for one night - ONE - and this is what happens. Fidel Castro, after nearly fifty years of uninterrupted rule, has decided to step down.


The Earth's rotation won't reverse course, life as we know it won't come to an end, and yet... this is still the end of an era and the beginning of something more nebulous, uncertain, even scary. No matter how much some people out there hated Castro there’s some comfort to be had in old hatreds, and change is always met with a bit of cynicism. Who says Raul won’t come down harder on individual freedoms? How will the US react (or not react…) to this development?

We’ll see.

I’m just glad he announced his retirement just before I handed back my copy edits for Cutting Loose as there’s a teeny tiny reference to the caballero in there and I need to adjust accordingly… Gracias, Fidel!

As for Fashionably Late... I think it's now officially a "historical" novel ; )

1 comment:

Marilyn Brant said...

Your final line brought a smile to my face: Fashionably Late = a historical novel... Oh, you're funny :-).

And I also think you're right--change of any kind is scary. Things may prove to be better or worse, but I imagine it's the uncertainty for all involved that's the most worrisome...

P.S. Hope you're over your cold/flu now, too.